Kat Griffin / Program Director, DJ
Kat Griffin shows
Kat Griffin is a public radio host at two Los Angeles stations as well as the LuxuriaMusic station den mother. She started in public radio way back when there was no internet at KCRW in Santa Monica as the ticket giveaway coordinator and live performance producer for Deirdre O’Donoghue’s SNAP, where guests included R.E.M., Crowded House, Joe Strummer, Steve Wynn/The Dream Syndicate, Brian Eno, Richard Thompson, and June Tabor. This blossomed into opportunities as associate producer for the broadcasts of the Santa Monica Folk Festival and Los Angeles Festival, where she worked under director Peter Sellars. After many years of board op duties for Harry Shearer’s Le Show and other assisting and producing assignments at KCRW, she accepted her first hosting position, Madly Cocktail at another radio station. She’s been clutching that baby to her ever since, taking it from KCSN to KJAZZ, then back to KCSN again and the finally to where it was meant to be all along, LuxuriaMusic.
- Philosophy of my radio show: Madly Cocktail is an eclectic mix of jazz, exotica, latin beat and pop vocal. Designed to quench your thirst for freedom from the workweek, it will hypnotize you into a purely weekend state of mind.
- Five artists LuxuriaMusic listeners will hear on my show: Cal Tjader, Mongo Santamaria, Quincy Jones, Martin Denny, & Sammy Davis Jr.
- To derive maximum pleasure from my radio show: Join the Rudy Van Gelder drinking game in the chat room.
- When I’m not DJing I can be found: Den-Mothering, which includes but is not limited to: vacuuming the studio, refilling the refreshments, stocking the notepaper, and running over to the studio at midnight when we go off the air.
- Secret superpowers I possess: I talk into a tube in a dark room and people can hear me as far away as Helsinki, Minsk, and Tokyo.