Host John T. is a Montrealer, a writer/translator/editor, a broadcaster, a tikiphile, a mid-century modernist… His other radio/music-related projects include scripts, features, and segments for CBC Radio and Sound Source Networks, artwork and photos for live recordings by Stan Ridgway, and production of the DVD Ridgway’s Raw Feed Live. John has written chapbooks that have garnered attention locally and abroad, including Dollar Days (a surreal account of his days as an ad copywriter), Mental Notes (a poignant/funny collection of anecdotes), and the Montreal underground classic The Official St. Leonard Dictionary (a dictionary of local Italian-Canadian slang); first published in 1994, the Dictionary continues to be a cult item and was nominated for an Expozine small press award. John also founded The Montreal Tiki Appreciation Society, the Mai Tai newsletter (1998-2005), and the website maitaionline.com.
• Philosophy of my radio show: 50s-60s-70s instrumental and vocal pop, real & imagined soundtracks, exotica, novelty tunes, audio art brut, obsessions, oddities… and the occasional cocktail recipe… all of which is usually centered around a specific theme.
• Five artists LuxuriaMusic listeners will hear on my show: At any given moment you may or may not hear music relating to Ennio Morricone, Lee Hazlewood, Stan Ridgway, Vic Caesar, The Exponians of the Steel Orchestra, and more… or less!
• To derive maximum pleasure from my radio show: Mix up a couple of cocktails, sit yourself down, and bask in the warm glow of a blowfish lamp.
• When I’m not DJing I can be found: Roaming through the ruins of Expo 67, wondering where yesterday’s tomorrows went.
• Secret superpower I possess: The ability to survive winters in Montreal.
© Copyright 2003-2023, The LuxuriaMusic Foundation - "LuxuriaMusic" is a registered trademark.