Brian J. Waters
Brian J. Waters has been a fixture in the LA music scene since moving there from Miami, FL in 1988. His first gig was at Bleecker Bob’s Records LA, where he spent the better part of a decade specializing in buying and selling vintage vinyl. In the early 90s, Waters joined fellow Miami transplants in the magnetic punk rock band “Coma-tones,” and then went on to form his own soul-inspired, high energy rock-n-roll combos “The Countdowns” and “The Flash Express,” where the LA Weekly called him “a hopped-up locomotive, screaming into his Telecaster pickups, luring women in the audience and shaking his God-given white ass.” (Oh Good Lord!!!) He’s also graced the stage and recording studio with artists ranging from Andre Williams and Rudy Ray Moore to DeeDee Ramone, Jane Wiedlin of the “GoGos” and most recently, the LA 10-piece, death doo-wop combo, “Jail Weddings.”
Waters’ DJ experience has been primarily live, rocking dance floors in clubs like The Knitting Factory, Spaceland and Tigermask Events in Los Angeles and Las Vegas as well as clubs in Europe while on tour with his band The Flash Express. One of his fondest DJing memories is sharing the stage with Dan The Automator at San Francisco’s legendary Fillmore before a sold out Jon Spencer Blues Explosion gig. “I brought about 200 records and drove 6 hours to do a half hour set. It was still a big thrill for me though!”
- Philosophy of my radio show: Let the drivers drive and let the riders ride…. Seriously, I’m just kidding!
- Five artists LuxuriaMusic listeners will hear on my show: James Brown, Ruth Brown, Piney Brown, Roy Brown, Maxine Brown
- To derive maximum pleasure from my show: Turn On, Tune In and let’s have us a Wang Dang Doodle!
- When I’m not DJing I can be found: At any bar within a ten mile radius of The Snooty Fox Motor Inn that has cheap drinks, cheaper women, pinball and/or a decent jukebox.
- Super secret powers I possess: My hands are registered with the Van Nuys Police Department as deadly weapons